Whether you're recently retired or binge-watching everything on Netflix, there comes a time in your life when you find yourself doing nothing and getting bored. 90 affordable and fun things to do when you're bored, packed with content, it should fill your time well.
When you meet someone who has just retired, you will usually hear them say one of two things:
- I've been so busy since I retired that I'm surprised I have time to work or
- I'm retired and bored now. I wish I had more to do.
If it's the latter, this comprehensive list of things to do when you're bored will fill your day and weekend with lots of fun activities.
Maybeyou haven't retired yetBut I often find myself with little to do in the evenings and on weekends. Boredom can quickly affect your emotional and mental health.
While it's perfectly fine to relax and do nothing from time to time, it's also important to keep in mind that too much free time and not enough things to do can lead to stagnation, a lack of energy, a lack of ambition to do something and, what is worse, depression.
accordingstudy abroad network, “Boredom is many times an indicator of depression, but it can also be a trigger or trigger.”
If you find yourself scrolling mindlessly on your phone for hours, filling in the empty hours, you'll find something else interesting on this list. For ease of navigation, it is divided into three sections:
1. Indoor activities to do when you're bored
2. Outdoor activities to do when you're bored
3. Things to do when you're bored with your friends
30 Things You Can Do Inside When You're Bored
Here are 30 things to do when you're bored indoors, alone or with friends. Remember, these are just suggestions. Take what you want, leave the rest!
- Rearrange furniture.You can do this in one room at a time, and the best part is that it's free. Depending on how many rooms you have in your home, this can fill up a lot of days very quickly.
- draw something.Do you have walls, doors, window frames, picture frames, or anything else that needs fixing? A good coat of new paint can completely change the appearance of something.
- Plan your monthly budget.Do you have a good idea of where your money is going? It might be time to create a monthly budget.
- Sudoku/crosswords.These are a great way to fill a few hours of boredom. Be careful though, the puzzles can be addictive.
- Enjoy a spa day.When was the last time you pampered yourself? Getting a manicure/pedicure or even a facial is easy and fun.
- Read a book.Why not take a paperback off the shelf, dust it off, and read it again? He spends hours immersed in the novel.
- Fix what is broken.We all have broken items that need fixing but end up on our "fix tomorrow" list. Take inventory of these things and start fixing them.
- write a letter.You can write a love letter to yourself, a sorry letter to someone who hurt you, or a letter to an old friend. Writing is therapeutic and can quickly take up an hour or two.
- Check your clothes.It might be time to do a "check and check" your wardrobe. Items that no longer fit can be donated to homeless or women's shelters. It's a win-win.
- Learn a new language.With so many free language apps, learning a new language has never been easier.
- Clean up the desk.When was the last time you cleaned up your desktop or cleaned up your computer? There are tons of dead files that you no longer need and are taking up valuable space.
- dust.I know you hate dusting and it's boring, but could you give your furniture, glasses, knick-knacks and other things a good clean? You'll feel good when you're done.
- tidy.Is there a room or closet in your house?urgent need of attention? Plan a few hours and work in that space. You can donate any unwanted items or sell them at a garage sale.
- Watch a movie.Cartoon people? Maybe a good murder mystery? Make some popcorn, grab a blanket, and snuggle up on the couch.
- Find a new series.Are you watching Breaking Bad for the fifth time? Browse Netflix and add more series to your list. I recommend delving into some good documentaries.
- Create a new playlist of songs.Your playlist on Spotify hasn't changed in over a year. Why not get a friend or two to share some of your playlists? diversification!
- to meditate.Meditation is not just for the morning, the night or to calm the nerves. Check out the Insight Timer or Headspace and find good reflections any time of day.
- Start an indoor garden.Be careful with this. Once you start, you can become addicted. An indoor garden is a wonderful way to grow herbs and vegetables.
- bake.There's nothing like the smell of cookies baking in the oven. When you're done, you can share it with friends and neighbors.
- Plan your weekly meals.Take the guesswork out of cooking every day and plan your meals on Sunday. That way, you can make sure you're getting enough vegetables, protein, and good fats in your diet.
- Make a wish list.Do you have things you want to do and places you want to go? write it all down Make a wish list and plan to remove these items from your list.
- Mental map of short-term goals.Where do you see yourself in 6 months? How is your savings account? Why not set some short-term goals on your mind map and achieve success in life?
- Long-term goals mind map.What is next year like for you, two years or five years? Do you have plans for the future? Take some time to think about what you want.
- Learn a new skill.YouTube is a gold mine of tutorials. Anything you want to learn, you can find it for free on YouTube.
- take a short nap.Naps are underrated. The next time you're bored, lie down, close your eyes, and take a break.
- Clean out your fridge.A drudgery that nobody wants to do, but now is the time? When was the last time she walked to the back shelf to clean up?
- Start writing a journal.Writing/journaling is cathartic. When we release our emotions and feelings through words on paper, we detoxify negative and sad thoughts to make way for happier thoughts.
- Clean the windows.It's not a fun way to pass the time when you're bored, but you know you have to. Get out the vinegar and coffee filters and shine the windows.
- Start an online business.If you have a lot of free time,why not start a businessdo you earn some money? It is easier than you think.
- Find an old friend to text.Facebook is a great way to find old friends from high school or from the neighborhood and reconnect.
30 Outdoor Activities to Do When You're Bored
Your list of outdoor activities to do when you're bored depends on where you live and the weather. If the weather is more ideal, choose an indoor project from the list above.
- Go bird watching.Pack your backpack, some water and a snack and head out into nature to watch the birds.
- Hiking.Find some scenery that you still need to explore. If this is not something you want to do alone, ask a friend to join you. Have a little picnic and go.
- Visit nursing homes/nursing homes.Many long-term care facilities have patients without family members or visitors. Be a light in someone's dark and lonely days.
- voluntary.Find an organization that resonates with you and apply to volunteer.
- Take a road trip.Head to a family-friendly island or visit a local market in a nearby town.
- Take a look at your local library.You may be surprised by the people you will meet and the books that are waiting for you to open them.
- Go to the movies.when was the last time thatI went to the theater? There's nothing like a 3D action adventure with buttered popcorn and candy!
- There is a campfire.Any time is good for a campfire unless it's raining. Call a friend or two, or don't call, and enjoy the ambiance of a roaring backyard fire.
- go swimming.Grab your bathing suit and towel and head to the beach/lake or local pool; it's a great way to get some exercise and maybe make some new friends.
- Visit the dog park.If you don't have a pet, this is a great way to get hugs and laughs. Most pet owners are happy to share their furry friends with others.
- Enjoy a picnic.Whether in your backyard or at the park, bring a snack and drink of your choice and enjoy a picnic under the shade of the elms.
- Start an outdoor garden.As addictive and rewarding as an indoor garden, you'll have more space to grow a greater variety of plants.
- go to a coffee shoponly. Meeting other people and enjoying a hot and spicy drink is a great way to spend time with yourself.
- Go for a walk in another part of the city.What parts of your city have not yet been explored? Go for a walk with a friend and see what's on the other side of town.
- Go for a walk in nature.Remember to bring binoculars for this one. You can see rare and unique butterflies and other forest creatures.
- Cleared courtyard/front entrance.Do you have a plant or tree that is in desperate need of some TLC? Your door may need a new look, such as adding a door wreath. Get out there and show some love to your front yard.
- Wash your car.inside out. When was the last time you gave your car a good scrubbing? Grab some rags and a garbage bag and go find it.
- fly a kite.A great activity for a windy day, but take advantage of this fun activity when you're bored. You'll feel like a kid again, looking forward to the next windy day.
- Take the neighbor's dog for a walk.Don't have a pet of your own? Bring the neighbor's dog, go for a walk, get some fresh air and exercise.
- Join the tennis/pickleball/badminton club.Almost every town has a club for community events and games. Consult yours and register what interests you.
- Shop at local farmers markets.Most cities have markets every weekend, depending on the weather. Grab your reusable shopping bag and head to the market to help support local farmers.
- Go to a flea market.Flea markets are a great place to find old and new treasures. When was the last time you visited someone close to you?
- Have a garage sale.Once you've sorted out what you no longer need and cleared out that garage, it's time to make some quick cash. Plan weekend garage sales.
- Take an outdoor yoga class.Many cities offer outdoor yoga and aerobics classes. Find the class closest to you and attend.
- Make a bird feeder.It sounds challenging, but it can be fun and easy. You can find easy tutorials on YouTube.
- Check out the rooftop patio/restaurant.Bring your sunglasses and a light sweater and enjoy a glass of wine or soft drink on the rooftop terrace.
- go fishing.Get out your old fishing rods and baits, head out to the lake and cast your line - a relaxing way to spend the day.
- Take photos of nature.You don't need a fancy or expensive camera for this. Your phone will work fine.Go out and photograph the trees,Birds, leaves and anything that catches your eye.
- Pick berries.Many local farms allow you to pick up a basket of berries or other fruit for a cheap price. Call a farm to find out how much it costs and when to go.
- study of the starsIf you've never looked at the stars at night, you don't know what you're missing. Grab a blanket, download a sky map app, and learn about the stars in the sky.
30 things to do when you're bored with your friends
If hanging out with friends is your thing, here are 30 things to do indoors and out when you and your friends are bored.
- Play board-games.There's nothing like a classic Monopoly game to keep you entertained for hours at night. Playing games is classic fun.
- Host a potluck dinner.A fun way to get all your friends together to try new foods.
- Do seasonal crafts.Gather your friends and have a craft party. When everyone has completed their unique creation, trade with each other.
- Practica paddle surf/kayak.Head to the water for a workout, a vitamin D supplement, and a good laugh.
- Make a monster puzzle.If you don't have one, it's relatively easy to find one at a thrift store. Buy the biggest one and spend a day putting it together.
- Join a community garden.These beautiful gardens are everywhere. Ask about community gardens in your area at your local garden center and get started.
- Watch a movie in your backyard.Take the TV outside, set up some chairs, and voila! Outdoor mini theater.
- Help the neighbors.Are there seniors on your street who need help with yard work, housework, or other errands? Gather your friends and have a big cleanup day.
- Host a karaoke party.All it takes is music, your living room, and an open mind. It would be even better if someone had a microphone handy.
- Getting massages or other spa treatments.Mani / pedi, anyone? Why not treat yourself to a spa day at home?
- Tie-dye T-shirt.Collect old t-shirts in need of love, go wild with fabric dyes and ties. When you're done, trade them with each other.
- Visit an amusement park.Find atheme parkClose to you, to be a child again. Eat the marshmallows and continue the fun rides.
- Have themed parties.Together you can decide what the theme will be. Make it a potluck party, too.
- Read some tarot cards.Someone was known to have a stash of tarot cards that were never used. He pulls out that deck and throws a tarot party.
- face paint.It's not just for kids. Let your inner child out and have fun painting faces.
- Makeup party.If face painting isn't your thing, why not throw a makeup party? Pull out those false eyelashes and have fun.
- Play word puzzles.For those who don't have a board game handy, playing anagrams is a great alternative and a lot of fun.
- Create a vision board.Is it time to show your dream home to Mr. or Mrs. Right? Why not do it with your friends? Ask everyone to bring their favorite magazines, snacks, and drinks.
- Start a local sports/activity group.If you can't find a group in town that suits your needs, why not start one? Social media is a great place to spread the word.
- Try paintball.Many cities offer paintball on the weekends. Paintball is a high energy, slightly aggressive sport, so it's not for the faint of heart, but it's a lot of fun.
- Make jewelry.If you and your girlfriend are artsy and crafty girls, making jewelry is a great way to spend a few hours together. When your creations are complete, you can donate, gift, keep, or sell them.
- hair partyIf you want a new hairstyle or color, why not have a hair party? Don't go crazy here. While hair parties are fun, they can end in disaster if you're not careful!
- Take a look at the new restaurant.You can't wait to see the new restaurant that just opened, so make an appointment.
- Play croquet.Croquet is a fun and relaxing way to spend a few hours with friends. You can buy a set at a reasonable price at your local hardware store.
- play bowling.Many bowling alleys also offer brilliant bowling! This is a great way to get some exercise.
- journey.Get together with your friends and find a place on the map that is close to you and everyone wants to go. Then, pack a light picnic lunch and go.
- Try your luck at Bingo.Even if you're not a player, bingo is still a fun way to spend a few hours, and the best part is that most bingo games are hosted by charities, so your money goes to a good cause.
- Practice a new language together.It is easier to learn a new language with a friend. Choose a language that you both want to learn and practice.
- Have a pajama party.When was the last time you had a sleepover with your girlfriend? Sleepovers are a great way to have fun and bond with friends.
- Do a block cleanup.Call your friends and plan a community cleanup. Others will also join; you can turn this into a monthly event.
There's no limit to what you can do when you're bored.
While I've only shared 90 things you can do when you're bored, the possibilities are endless. When you're bored, a quick Google or Yahoo search can find hundreds of things to do. The next time you find yourself restless or with nothing to do, come back to this 90 Things to Do When You're Bored article, and you'll be busy in no time.
This article is written byfortune geek.
website |+ publication
Iva Ursano is a solo traveler from Canada currently living in Guatemala. After hitting rock bottom in 2013, at age 52 she completely reinvented her life, she packed two suitcases and bought a one-way ticket to Central America. She runs a website for women over the age of 50 to help them spend the rest of their lives living the best life possible while feeding stray dogs and helping the less fortunate in the town of Panajache that she now calls home.